Saturday, July 16, 2011

3 Short Paragraphs: Limitless


2011, Neil Burger (best known for The Illusionist, no not the animated one, the one that was not The Prestige) -- download.

I loved Flowers for Algernon, which I am always astounded to find out was only a short story because it took my high-school slacker self ages to get through. But I love the idea of ... well, getting smarter without all that annoying time and book work. I know I have tons of information in my head and as I get older it becomes more and more difficult to access. I could write such astounding novels, draw & paint brilliantly and probably direct an Oscar winner or two. But alas I am saddled with the same brain as the main character, Eddie Morra. And yes, brains influence personality.

Imagine taking a pill that can allow you to just connect the dots. Its not about instantly attaining knowledge, its learning to make due with what you have -- brilliantly. But of course, it wouldn't be a parable if there wasn't a cost. Of course, if you were THAT smart, couldn't you find a way to actually think through the cost? If there is a limit, can you just solve the problem that keeps you from ... everything?

Besides this movie wishing to be the new Fightclub, stylistically, and not really succeeding I did rather enjoy it. There are cute little things he does with his ability, like decorate a crappy apartment with crap, but stylishly. Smart people do things like that; they make do wonderfully with what they have. Hmmm, I already said that. A smarter person wouldn't repeat himself. In the end though, I found his "ultimate goal" a little limiting. Really, politics? Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment